Rotary Jaipur Limb Project
The Rotary Jaipur Limb project was established in 1984 by the late Peter Betteridge from the Rotary Club of Godalming, RI District 1250, and his wife Jessamine, following a vist to the remarkable limb making workshops of Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti (BMVSS) at the Sawai Man Singh (SMS) hospital in Jaipur, India . They saw that no disabled person was ever turned away, coming as they did to the centre by any method of transport and often from great distances in India, and how all were treated free of charge. They also observed the huge support given to the centre by Jaipur Rotarians and members of Inner Wheel.
In 1988 support for the project extended beyond District 1250 and it was included in the RIBI International Projects Library for the first time. In 1990, Rotarians from Kingston-on Thames, D1130, financed the first permanent Rotary Jaipur Limb centre in Khammam.
In 1990 the concept of free limbs went international with the establishment of the first permanent Jaipur Limb Centre in Nairobi, Kenya, sponsored by D3140 and the Rotary Club of Bournemouth. In 1993 D1070 Governor Barry Hodgkinson went to Honduras to see the first Rotary Jaipur Limb centre established in Central America, and during the early 1990s limb camps were held in several African countries, as well as in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
The last few years have seen a remarkable shift in project support to both East and West Africa, whilst Indian Rotary clubs and the BMVSS centres at Jaipur and New Delhi have not been neglected.
The terrible earthquake in Haiti in January 2010 inspired Rotarians in RIBI to offer assistance to Caribbean Rotarians to establish a limb centre in that devastated country and to train new technicians to deal with the many who had lost a limb as a result of their injuries. This resulted in the RIBI setting up a fund to support what turned out to be the largest project ever undertaken by RJLP, eventually costing over US$500,000.